Adolph and Adella Secher immigrated to the United States from Austria-Hungary in the early 1900s. They had four children, Rudolph, Jack, Morris, and Fannie.
Rudolph and Jack became local restaurateurs. Rudolph “Rudy” Secher (c1900-1954) married Jeannette B. Richest in 1921 and went to work for his new mother-in-law Anna Richest, owner of Richest’s Delicatessen. Secher went independent in 1925, opening Rudy’s Sandwich Shop at 10 Diamond Square. He opened a second location at 238 Diamond St. downtown in 1928, turning over management of the original location to his brother Jack. The Diamond Square located appears to have closed the following year. Rudy Secher moved to 604 Liberty Ave. in 1934 and added bar service. He relocated to the Diamond Market downtown in 1940.
After the closure of the 10 Diamond Sq. location in the late 1920s, Jack Secher acquired an interest in Klein’s restaurant and delicatessen at 1714 Murray Ave. in Squirrel Hill. He acquired the business outright in 1933 under the new name Secher’s Food Shop. Jack Secher later relocated to Butler, Pa., where he remained in the food service industry.