Anna Richest started the Richest Delicatessen Shop around 1914, shortly after the death of her husband Peter. The shop was originally located at 82 Logan Street, in the same building as Reichbaum’s, and was listed in city directories as a confectionary. Richest Sanitary Delicatessen relocated down the block to 1314 Fifth Avenue in 1922.“Richest Sanitary Delicatessen Ship Removes to 1314 Fifth Avenue,” Jewish Criterion, May 5, 1922 (online). Anna Richest married Leon Mitchel in 1924, and they ran the business together for many years.
Anna Richest Mitchel extensively remodeled the restaurant at 1314 Fifth Ave. in 1940 and began advertising “strictly kosher” meat products under the certification of the “Rabbinical Board of Pittsburgh.”“Richest Delicatessen and Restaurant Being Remodeled and Enlarged,” Jewish Criterion, April 12, 1940 (online). The Mitchels sold the business to brothers-in-law Ted Tobin and William “Bubbles” Rosenstein around 1944. Tobin died from a heart attack during a fight in the restaurant in 1945. His widow Maida Tobin and a second brother-in-law, Sherman Schwartz, assumed his interest. The restaurant was known as Richest’s until the early 1950s, although it was informally called Ted & Bubbles for a short time before Tobin’s death. The business was renamed Bubbles & Sherman around 1951 or 1952. Bubbles & Sherman relocated to 5841 Forbes Ave. in Squirrel Hill in the early 1960s, and the Fifth Avenue location became Bud and Mel’s Cornbeef Kettle.Pittsburgh City Directories, 1935-1953.
Anna Richest Mitchel’s son Joseph P. Richest opened Downtown Richest’s Sandwich Shoppe and Lunch Room at 621 Penn Ave. in 1934 and relocated a few years later to 140 Sixth St.Downtown Richest’s advertisement, Jewish Criterion, Feb. 16, 1934 (online). He ran the business for many years with his wife Anne (Burckin) Richest.
Erwin and Marion Vogel acquired Downtown Richest’s in 1966 and later brought on their daughter and son-in-law Ronna and Jack Farberow as partners.Richest’s Restaurant advertisement, Jewish Chronicle, Nov. 11, 1966 (online). Over time, the new owners gradually renamed the business, first as Richest’s Restaurant and then as Richest Restaurant. They advertised the cuisine as “kosher-style” and “Jewish-style” but served non-kosher items. Richest Restaurant closed in 1997, and the location became the Stage Door Saloon and later Oliver or Twist. The nearby restaurant Kenny B’s Eatery later offered the “Richest Reuben,” which it claimed followed Richest’s original recipe.
|↑1||“Richest Sanitary Delicatessen Ship Removes to 1314 Fifth Avenue,” Jewish Criterion, May 5, 1922 (online).|
|↑2||“Richest Delicatessen and Restaurant Being Remodeled and Enlarged,” Jewish Criterion, April 12, 1940 (online).|
|↑3||Pittsburgh City Directories, 1935-1953.|
|↑4||Downtown Richest’s advertisement, Jewish Criterion, Feb. 16, 1934 (online).|
|↑5||Richest’s Restaurant advertisement, Jewish Chronicle, Nov. 11, 1966 (online).|