The Kosher Restaurant & Catering Company Inc. was created in October 1962 to oversee a kosher food operation in Pittsburgh. It opened The Kosher Restaurant at 1718 Murray Ave. in Squirrel Hill in December 1962, shortly after the closure of Cappy’s Restaurant at the same address. The Kosher Restaurant billed itself as “the only Kosher Restaurant in the Tri-State Area” and one of the few nationally, and it attempted to meet a stricter standard for kosher cuisine than other Jewish-owned restaurants in the area. It was owned by Abe Dunn and was managed first by Matt Levenson and later by Armand Whitman.
The Kosher Restaurant promoted itself as a community service. It created a sponsorship program in early 1963, allowing customers to purchase bonds that could be redeemed over time. The restaurant closed in early 1964, after the interior was destroyed in a fire.Drapkin, Michael. “Squirrel Hill Fire Routs 6; Loss $75,000,” Pittsburgh Press, Feb. 17, 1964 (online—Newspapers.com).