Caplan’s Restaurant was located at 1229 Fifth Avenue, emerging out of a series of partnerships at the same location. Louis Caplan and Isadore Lampel operated Caplan & Lampel in 1921 and 1922, immediately after Canter’s Restaurant left the location for Oakland. Louis Caplan partnered with Alex Brody on Caplan & Brody at the location in 1924 and 1925. Louis Caplan began operating Caplan’s Restaurant independently in 1926.“Fifth Avenue Building Sold,” Pittsburgh Press, Jan. 9, 1927 (online-Newspapers.com). He sold the restaurant in 1946 to Sidney Feldman, Louis R. Fehervary and Frank W. Miskowicz, while retaining ownership of the building at 1229 Fifth Ave.Caplan’s Restaurant legal notice, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Aug. 10, 1946 (online-Newspapers.com). Caplan’s Restaurant closed around 1954, and Sammy’s Steak House took over the location. Beth Hamedrash Hagodol Congregation used the storefront from 1906-1962, while construction was underway for its Colwell Street synagogue.
No menus or reviews survive from Caplan’s Restaurant. The restaurant described itself in advertisements as “kosher-style” and consistently promoted a Passover menu each year.Caplan’s Restaurant Passover advertisement, American Jewish Outlook, March 27, 1953 (online).