Caplan & Brody ad (09/19/1924)
The Jewish Encyclopedia
of Western Pennsylvania
A project of the Rauh Jewish Archives at the Heinz History Center
Abe Brody (c.1893-1976) was a waiter and restaurateur involved with several dining establishments throughout the Hill District and Uptown sections of Pittsburgh.
Brody was a partner with Louis Caplan in Caplan & Brody Restaurant at 1229 Fifth Ave. in 1925. With partner N. Bloom, Brody started the Pitt Hotel & Mineral Springs in Cambridge Springs, Pa. in 1926. He went independent in 1927 and 1928 with Brody’s Restaurant at 1321 Fifth Ave. For the remainder of the 1920s and through the 1950s, he waited at establishments including Lampel’s, Caplan’s, and Weinstein’s. He partnered with Isadore Lampel in 1937 on the Center Café and Restaurant at 1830 Centre Ave.