The Jewish Encyclopedia
of Western Pennsylvania
A project of the Rauh Jewish Archives at the Heinz History Center
Temple Israel Congregation built their synagogue on Highland Avenue in 1927. The congregation maintained close ties with Rodef Shalom Congregation in Pittsburgh. The sanctuary, seen here, mimics a design feature of Rodef Shalom by inscribing the Shema prayer on an arch over the bima.