The Jewish Encyclopedia
of Western Pennsylvania
A project of the Rauh Jewish Archives at the Heinz History Center
Tifereth Israel occupied a synagogue on South Jefferson Street from 1909 until 1958, when it completed construction of a new synagogue on Moody Street. The bima (dais) and arc are designed in an Orthodox style. Over time, the congregation became affiliated with the Conservative movement.