Tanchem Zewi Congregation was founded in the East End of Pittsburgh in 1932 by the Lazar, Marchbein, Morvai, and Weisman families. The congregation obtained a charter in 1932 for “the support of public worship in accordance with the religious customs of Hungarian Jews, and to commemorate the religious teachings of Rabbi Tachem Zewi.” Names listed on the charter include Louis Lazar, Charlotte Lazar, Esther Marchbein, Eugene Marchbein, Julius Morvai, Elizabeth Morvai, Regina Morvai, Irene Morvai, Adolph Weisman, Ethel Weisman, and Albert Weisman. These four charter families lived in four houses on Highview, Mellon, and N. St. Clair streets in the East End.
Rabbi Theodore Marchbein (also known by his Hebrew name Tanchum Tzvi) came from a long line of chazzanim (cantors) in Hungary and Poland. After immigrating to the United States, Marchbein became the spiritual leader of Congregation Gemilas Chesed in McKeesport, Pa. He was killed in an automobile accident in June 1928.