Marcus Reiter (c.1880-1956) immigrated to Pittsburgh from Kiev in 1900 and went into the wholesale meat business. About 1906, he married Rose Svirman (c.1892-1977), who had immigrated to the city from Canada in 1903. They moved to Hobart Street in Squirrel Hill and had four children, Helen, Molly, Martin and Minerva.
As a star guard, Martin “Marty” Reiter (c.1912-1986) won championships with the Irene Kaufmann Settlement and Fifth Avenue High School basketball teams before leading the Duquesne University Dukes to three stellar seasons in the early 1930s, including a 15-1 record in the 1932-1933 season. After college, Reiter played semi-professional basketball, first with the short-lived “Ralph Schugar’s Little Celtics” and later with the Young Men and Women’s Hebrew Association squad. He spent years on the staff of the Y athletic department. Reiter was inducted into the Duquesne University Sports Hall of Fame in 1976 and the Jewish Sports Hall of Fame of Western Pennsylvania in 1984.
In 1937, Marty Reiter married Laura Sher of Chicago.