Moogen David Congregation was founded in 1911 by Jewish immigrants from parts of the Russian Empire. Charter members include Benjamin Cooper, J. Frankel, Louis Freedman, Meyer Glass, J. Kaufman, Abraham Kress, Morris Ostrovsky, Simon Romick, Jacob Shenberg, Abraham Waitsman, Jacob Yoshpa, and Frank Zasloff. Ostrovsky had also been a charter member of Beth David Congregation and was a member of Shaaray Tefilah Congregation. Moogen David was likely a breakaway of Shaaray Tefilah.
Moogen David Congregation either purchased or built a small synagogue at 21 Miller St., next door to the larger Shaaray Tefilah synagogue. The two congregations may have also maintained an ongoing financial relationship, as well. When the Moogen David Congregation synagogue was marketed at a sheriff’s sale in 1934 and 1935, Shaaray Tefilah was listed as “terre tenant,” suggesting it held a lien on the 21 Miller St. property.
As that sale process was underway in 1934, a new group called Congregation Kehilleth Issac obtained a charter and began meeting for services at a synagogue on Miller Street. It changed its name in 1936 to Beth Mogen David, suggesting some relationship to the former Beth David and Moogen David congregations.