Janet Mirow (1912-2002) and Joseph Mirow (1912-1975) were active members of the Jewish community of New Castle, Pa. from their arrival in the city in 1938 until their respective deaths.
Joseph Mirow was born to Leon and Gittel Mirowswki on September 23, 1911, in Suwalki, Poland. Mirow married Janet Gutkowski on July 8, 1935. Janet Gutkowski was born to Deena (Gerson) and Isaac Gutkowski on February 26, 1912, in Suwalki, Poland. Joseph and Janet Mirow immigrated to New Castle, Pa. from Poland in May 1938. They became members of Tifereth Israel Congregation and operated Mirow’s Jewelry Store downtown. They had two children, Deena (b. 1946) and Ina (b. 1949).
Joseph and Janet Mirow were both active in communal affairs. Joseph was president of Tifereth Israel Congregation as well as its Men’s Club. He was the first chairman of the New Castle Israel Bond Committee and was honored by the organization at its 25th anniversary dinner. He was also active in local chapters of B’nai B’rith, the Zionist Organization of America, and the Jewish War Veterans. Janet was a member of the Tifereth Israel Congregation Sisterhood. She was also treasurer of the Jewish Ladies Relief and a life member of Hadassah. In 1975, the Mirow family donated a 250-year-old Sefer Torah (Torah scroll) to Tifereth Israel Congregation.