Hillel-Jewish University Center is an educational, programming, religious, and service center in Oakland, serving Jewish undergraduate students throughout Pittsburgh.
The local chapter of the B’nai B’rith-Hillel Foundation was founded in November 1952 with support from the regional district of B’nai B’rith Women. B’nai B’rith-Hillel initially served students at the University of Pittsburgh, the Carnegie Institute of Technology (now Carnegie Mellon University), Duquesne University, and the Pennsylvania College for Women (now Chatham University). Rabbi Morris Feldman was hired as its the first director, and the YM&WHA provided office space at its building on S. Bellefield Ave. Feldman came to Pittsburgh after working at Jewish communities centers in the New York area but had received a master’s degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work. Feldman left in 1956 to accept a pulpit in Indianapolis.
Rabbi Richard Rubenstein led the local B’nai B’rith Hillel chapter until 1970. After his departure, B’nai B’rith-Hillel was reorganized with the help of the United Jewish Federation. The new board included representatives from both organizations and became known as the Hillel-Jewish University Center or Hillel-JUC. Local executive directors since the reorganization have included Rabbi Boris A. Rackovsky (1970-1972), Rabbi Phillip Sigal (1972-1976), Rabbi Joe Levine (1976-1992), Rabbi Art Donsky (1992-1997), Gary Coleman (interim, 1997-1998), David Terdiman (2001-2003), Aaron Weil (2003-2013), and Daniel Marcus (2013-present).
Hillel-Jewish University Center relocated to the Omega Building at 160 N. Craig Street in 1987 and to the second floor of 4551 Forbes Ave. (at the corner of Craig Street) in 1994. Following a major capital campaign, the newly built Edward and Rose Berman Hillel-Jewish University Center building was dedicated in 2001 at 4607 Forbes Ave.