Lena and Jacob Hechtman were active members of the Jewish and Braddock communities between the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century.
Lena Hechtman (1879-1957), originally of Germany, was a founder of Braddock General Hospital, where she served as president of the Women’s Auxiliary and board of directors. She was also active in the Red Cross and Salvation Army, was president of the Braddock chapter of B’nai B’rith, and was elected as the County Committee Woman for the Republican party in Allegheny County in 1924. Lena Hechtman was a member of Agudath Achim Congregation in Braddock.
A Braddock merchant who immigrated from Hungary, Jacob Hechtman (1877-1945) was a member of Elks Lodge No. 83 and Agudath Achim Congregation.
Jacob and Lena Hechtman had five children: Melvin (1900-1970), Sylvia (1902-1953), Leonard (1904-1943), Marion (1906-1970), and Howard (1910-1984).
Sylvia Hechtman married Herman Litman an auto dealer of Braddock. Their son Alan Lee Litman was an inventor and developed chemical mace.
Marion Hechtman married Samuel Jacobson of Homestead, Pa. in 1931. Jacobson owned and operated an auto dealership called Gordon & Jacobson Inc. on 8th Avenue in Homestead. The Jacobsons had two children: Alan Louis Jacobson (1935-2003) and Blair George Jacobson (b. 1939). Alan and Blair Jacobson grew up in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh and spent summers at Camp Machigon in Maine.
Howard “Hub” Hechtman married Muriel “Babe” Kaufman (1916-1985). Muriel Kaufman Hechtman grew up in the South Hills and graduated from Dormont High School. She was in the Women’s Army Corps.