Bubbles & Sherman was originally located at 1314 Fifth Ave. in the Uptown section of Pittsburgh. Richest’s Sanitary Delicatessen had been founded at that address in 1922 by Anne Richest Mitchel. She sold the business around 1944 to brothers-in-law Ted Tobin and William “Bubbles” Rosenstein. Tobin was killed in December 1945, after being attacked during an altercation among patrons at the restaurant. His widow Maida Tobin and a second brother in law Sherman Schwartz later assumed his interest. The restaurant continued to be known as Richest’s until the early 1950s, when it became Bubbles & Sherman. The partners also ran Bubble’s Bar in Market Square in downtown Pittsburgh.
Bubbles & Sherman relocated to 5841 Forbes Ave. in Squirrel Hill in 1962 and maintained the location until the late 1960s. Following the move, the original Fifth Avenue location became a new restaurant called Bud and Mel’s Cornbeef Kettle.